Note: These steps must be taken on a computer where Intersection Magic is installed and functioning correctly. If Intersection Magic was not correctly installed contact Pd' Programming for support.
This process will only work for databases created with the same configuration. A small number of Intersection Magic user will have separate configurations for different databases. Intersection Magic stores a number for each field in the database. The Intersection Magic configuration tells the program what the numbers mean. For example a configuration that stores a value of 3 meaning "Dark" in a field used for light condition may be the value "East" for a vehicle direction field in a different Intersection Magic configuration. Merging databases that use different configurations will corrupt the merged database, and render it unusable. Users with multiple configurations must select separate databases by opening the program with a separate icons. Contact Pd' Programming if you are unsure of your database configurations.
Before making any changes to your database Pd' Programming recommends that you back up your databases first. If a mistake is made during the merge process the database backup can be used to return to the starting point of the process. As a best practice it is recommended that an empty database be created first. Then other database merged into the newly created database.
This process will only add crash records to a database if the Case Id does not exist in the database. Specific crash records are skipped during the merge process if the Case Id already exists in the target database.
The first item is to select the target database. This is the database that you would like to add records to:
- Open Intersection Magic.
- Select Utilities / Database / Select.
- Browse and select the target database that you would like to bring records into.
- Click the OK button.
- Close Intersection Magic to save the database selection.
Next open the IMW edit window:
- Open Intersection Magic.
- From the drop down menu select Utilities / Database / IMW Edit.
- Ensure that no reports are open and that all users are out of the database.
- Click the OK button to open the IMW Edit window.
Merge the database:
- Ensure the database that you will be adding records to is specified in the top blue bar of the IMW Edit window.
- In the IMW Edit window select File / Merge database.
- Select the source database. This is the database that you would like to pull the crash records from. Click the OK button when selected.
- Enter the date range of crash records to be added, and click the OK button.
- Click the No button when asked "Would you like to specify a field that will have it's value set to 1 during the merge?".
- The screen will flash as records are added. Click the OK button when the merge is complete.
Once the merge has been completed, verify the correct collision records have been added before using the database.